Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hilariously sad, and unfortunately true

You know who I'm tired of? Those guys.
You know, the ones who can't take a hint.
I'm going to lay out a situation, a true situation, my situation.
Last year I worked at this retail place, the first day of training I met this guy. He seemed nice enough, he had very white teeth. Seriously, that's the first thing I thought. I'm all for being friends with coworkers, it makes the time go by faster.
This guy. This guy. I just don't understand how he doesn't get it. I'm not friendly because I like you, I'm friendly because that's just how I am.

I saw him on campus one day and he didn't remember where he knew me from, but he knew he recognized me. I have a memory for faces so I placed him right away. We talked for a few minutes and he asked for my number. I was hesitant, only because I wasn't interested in being full time friends with this kid. So, naturally, he wanted to be all up in my face.

That night I was making dinner, and I heard my text ring go off. I look at my phone, and it's White Teeth Guy. I had told him that afternoon I was going out of town for Thanksgiving that weekend (blatant lie). His text said "what r u doing this weekend?" OK, Really? Can we spell?
I reminded him that I was going out of town. He asked what I was up to, to which I replied that I was making dinner and he sent me this: "Kool. Am at the gym." Yeah, no worries man, I often start sentences with the word "am."
I obviously did not reply.
The same weekend he sent me another message asking what I was doing. I refused to reply again, was he watching my house and knew I didn't go anywhere?

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago.

I'm out for a walk in 96 degrees and humidity because I need to get out of my house. About a mile away from home, I'm walking along a busy street when someone pulls over and blocks my path. I have my head phones in and I'm going, seriously getting into this jj song, and it's metaphorically washing all over me healing me and stuff. it felt like a rainbow. seriously.
anyway, I see this car and I'm immediately peeved. I can't see who is driving because I'm blind, and he's wearing sunglasses. Hoping he'll get the hint, I just pretend I can't see him blocking my path. Relentless, he continues to try to talk to me while I'm being washed by a rainbow, so I put on my best "inconvenienced face" and take out my ear phones as he takes off his sunglasses. The White Teeth Guy, I should have known. He asks me what I'm doing, obviously by the sweat beads on my forehead I'm trying to escape my life. He informs me that he's just getting back from the gym, and I don't even try to pretend to be interested in what he's saying. He asks if I still have the same number, and thinking on my feet, I proudly declare that my phone had been stolen and I was currently without one. This was also a lie, I was holding my phone in my hand praying it looked more like an ipod than an HTC Evo. (come on phone, can't you morph into what I need you to be??) and he starts spewing bull crap from his mouth.
"I really think that we should hang out. I mean, we could like give it a try or whatever. I'm not one of these players, I'm very skeptical about people (yeah you're really giving me that vibe, NOT creepo.) It's just that when I see you walking, I get these feelings, and I think we should try and if it's not what you're looking for, then that's ok. Let's just try."

Um, sir, let's start with: I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF FEELINGS YOU GET WHEN SEE ANYONE WALKING. what a weird thing to say. you know nothing about me. I don't want you to. I haven't called because I don't want to.

Lying and saying that I'll call him if I ever get a phone might have been mean, and perhaps misleading. I can't say no to someone's face. I'm expecting rational people who can pick up on my hints that I'm not interested.

That song no longer feels like rainbows.

2 comments:

  1. When he sees you walking he feels like dangerously swerving onto pedestrian territory and possibly taking out the one person he was enjoying seeing walk in the first place...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently!! I was walking down Packard and he pulled onto a street in front of me and blocked the sidewalk. Just the phrase "I get these feelings..." makes me gag a little bit. haha

    ReplyDelete